Monday, March 7, 2016

It's Monday! What are you Reading? #IMWAYR


It's Monday!  What are you reading? is a meme hosted by Sheila at Book Journeys. Jen Vincent over at Teach Mentor Texts and Kellee Moye from Unleashing Readers decided to put a children's and YA spin on it and they invite anyone with an interest to join in. You can participate by creating your post then visit one of their sites to add your site. Finally, visit at least three participant blogs and comment to spread the love.

Today I finished a beautiful book- Circus Mirandus by Cassie Beasley.



As soon as I turned the last page, I ran to my computer to order everything ever written by Cassie Beasley. I was in awe to discover that this was her debut novel. It is a beautifully written, mysterious fantasy about a mystical circus that can only be seen by children who truly believe in magic. 

Years ago, Ephraim Tuttle spent some time at Circus Mirandus and on his final day, was offered a miracle by "The Lightbender" (the illusionist).  Ephraim saved his miracle with the hope that in the future, when he really needed it, The Lightbender would keep his promise. Now, years later, Ephraim is dying and his grandson, Micah, is desperate to find the circus and The Lightbender to help his grandfather. Micah's adventure to locate the circus along with his skeptical friend Jenny Mendoza, is a gripping tale that kept me hooked throughout the entire story. The detailed descriptions of the remarkable characters and circus scenes are fantastic!

This is a lovely story that I started and finished in the span of two hours. My children wanted dinner and my husband needed my attention but they all had to wait until I could finish reading- I was that engrossed in the magic of Circus Mirandus!
Grades 4+

1 comment:

  1. I loved Circus Mirandus when I read it. Love the blur between reality and fantasy that leaves you wondering how much of this might be true. I read it last summer and it's one that I'm looking forward to reading again and again!

    ReplyDelete