Sunday, November 19, 2017

Book Fair Bonanza

It's the most wonderful time of the year- that's right, Book Fair time! We recently held our school book fair, and I'm always amazed at how excited both students and parents are to attend. As soon as I announce the fair date, the kids burst into squeals of delight. I also celebrate because I know I will have the chance to peruse many new titles. Today's post is about some of my favorites from the fair.

                                                            

When I first glanced at this book, I thought it was going to be much scarier than it actually was. I thought there might have been ghosts or haunted woods or something creepy, but the story is NOTHING like that at all. It's actually a really neat story with a few unexpected plot twists. The main character in The Secret of Nightingale Wood by Lucy Strange is Henrietta, Henry for short, a young girl living in 1919. Her family moves to a new home after the tragic death of her brother Robert. Her mother is suffering from extreme depression due to Robert's death and the family hopes that country living will help them all to heal. The father, growing frustrated with Mama, takes an extended work trip leaving Nanny Jane in charge of Henry and her baby sister Piglet (yes, Piglet). Before he leaves, Father allows a local doctor to take care of Mama, but Dr. Hardy is a little TOO excited to try experimental treatments on her. Mama is growing worse everyday, not speaking or eating and sleeping all day long while Henry has been banished from seeing her. Henry knows she MUST save her mother but how can a young girl take on the powerful town doctor? Henry finds help and guidance in the mysterious lights in the woods of Hope House and at the same time helps to solve a mystery from long ago.

I really liked this book. While it dealt with mature topics, the tone and writing is still definitely for children. It powerfully portrayed the effects of grief on an entire family. Also what is unique about this story is the description of treatment for mental illness at this time in history. People suffering from depression had little help and being locked away was the best answer. Henry was a very strong and brave character who refuses to give up on her mother. She is clever and willing to take whatever risks necessary to keep Dr. Hardy away from Mama. The mystery of Hope House and the hidden room (I love a good hidden room) added to the suspense of the story. This isn't exactly a lighthearted tale, but a great story nonetheless for the right mature middle grade reader.


                                                         Weekends with Max and His Dad by [Urban, Linda]

Weekends With Max and His Dad tackles the subject of divorce in a positive way. Instead of dwelling on Max's sadness, Lind Urban write about all of the adventures Max gets to have with his dad when they spend their weekends together. Each weekend is a new experience where Max gets to meet fun new neighbors, set up the new apartment and play super spies with his Dad (all while eating their special pancakes).

Divorce is very difficult for an entire family, but what's nice about this book is that it doesn't focus at all on the problems that led to the parent's separation. It doesn't mention anything that happened before their first weekend together. Max isn't bitter or sad and his father is genuinely excited to see him and spend time together. It's obvious to the reader that Max's Dad is trying very hard to help Max feel safe and loved. Max has two homes and one isn't better than the other- just different. I wouldn't go so far as to say that this story makes divorce look easy- Max still has times where he feels awkward and uncomfortable in his new circumstances, but his father's obvious care and love helps him adjust. Max learns that his father's new place can be filled with love and be just as much of a home as the one he shares with his mother. This is geared towards students in grades 2-5 and the writing clearly reflects that age group. There is quite a bit of humor and again, no deep raging emotions about divorce. It's sweet and I would certainly recommend it to young students whether their situation matches Max's or not.


                                                             

My gripe about graphic novels has always been that young students will often read them without checking the reading level or looking to see if the content is appropriate. If it's got pictures, most kids will assume it's fine for all ages. Unfortunately, that's not always the case and students are reading graphic novels way above their reading and maturity level. Graphic novels are just super fun to read and everyone wants one! This is why I have been on a hunt for graphic novels that are perfect for a young audience. I think According to Aggie fits the bill! It's an American Girl graphic novel by Mary Richard Beumont based on the recurring "Aggie" article in  AG Magazine.

 Aggie is 11 years old and is finding that her friendships are beginning to change. Her best friend Fiona is starting to pull away and cancel their long standing Friday afternoon play date. They didn't have a fight or any kind of disagreement. Fiona is simply starting to develop different interests and make new friends. Aggie is saddened by the way things are going and searches for an answer as to why things are changing. As Aggie's mother tells her, sometimes there is no real answer.  Along the way Aggie befriends a new student and realizes that while she misses Fiona, she can still be happy.

This is a very common problem for young students. As they grow and change, friends often drift apart. What this novel does so well is that it is empathetic to young children in this situation while offering hope. I think someone going through friendship changes  will find a lot of comfort from Aggie's situation. Being in graphic novel form makes this story easy to read and the content never gets too mature. It is simple and sensitive to tween feelings and sure to be an excellent choice for parents and children to read together.



                                                               Bizzy Mizz Lizzie by [Shannon, David]

I'm certain we all know people with seriously over-scheduled children. I'd love to wrap this one up and anonymously mail it to some of my mom friends.  Bizzy Mizz Lizzie is the latest creation of the AMAZING David Shannon. Lizzie is a busy bee that is involved in a ridiculous amount of after school activities. She flits from one thing to the next without ever having time to stop and be lazy with her friend Mizz Daisy. My favorite line in this story goes something like, "the only bee busier than Lizzie is her mother who has to fly her everywhere." I'm sure most parents can relate! Along with participating in an abundance of activities, Lizzie also feels the need to excel at all of them. She goes full speed ahead until one day she just physically can't do it anymore. She cracks. The consequences of what she sees as a failure turn out to be EXACTLY what Lizzie needs- time to stop and quite literally smell the roses. I think this book is for kids of all ages because this is an ever growing problem and a great lesson for both children and parents (myself included).


                                                        I Am Peace: A Book of Mindfulness by [Verde, Susan]
I Am Peace is the perfect book to heal the Bizzy Mizz Lizzies of the world! Written by Susan Verde and illustrated by the phenomenal Peter Reynolds, this is a book about mindfulness. Mindfulness is a word I have been hearing quite a bit lately. I think it's growing in popularity because our world is moving at a frenetic pace that we haven't seen before. Mindfulness is the practice of being in the moment and aware of current surroundings. It's a way to calm and relieve stress. Too often, our children are in the "what if" worry zone and need reminding to focus on the present. This book is a beautiful guide to doing just that. Each page takes the reader on a guided mediation to connect with earth, wonder about nature and focus on the fives senses. It asks the reader to close his or her eyes and be still. I read it to my second grade class and I think I got as much out of it as they did. I'm not sure I ever sat in my classroom with my eyes closed and focused on the sounds around me. I could hear other teachers, kids in the hallway, doors closing, footsteps, the heater switching on, and music from somewhere in the building. I was quite refreshed when I opened my eyes. I really enjoyed reading this book and my students shared they liked it as well. I think it's an excellent gift (and reminder) for all ages.


No comments:

Post a Comment